So, one of my family’s favorite foods is my lasagna. I’m sure it’s quite Americanized, but man is it good – even our Italian-raised friend of the family from New Jersey loved it.
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (bulk – if you can’t find bulk, just slice open the casing on sausages and take out the inside)
- one chopped yellow onion
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 3 T fresh basil (chiffonaded — roll it up and thinly slice it across the roll)
- 1 T fresh oregano (take the leaves off the stalk and chop them up)
- pepper to taste
- small can tomato paste
- 28 oz can chopped tomatoes (I used the organic grilled ones)
- 28 oz can ground tomatoes (can use tomato sauce if preferred)
Cottage cheese layer
- 1 bag dry curd cottage cheese (if you can’t find this, 2 large containers of cottage cheese drained and rinsed)
- 1 egg
- 2 T dried parsley (or about 1/4 c fresh chopped Italian parsley)
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese (or parmesan/romano)
1 lb or 4 c of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 pkg gluten free brown rice lasagna noodles
Start by putting the pot of water for the noodles on to boil. You’ll put the noodles in while you’re cooking the red sauce, when the water starts boiling. They should be done while you’re cooking the red sauce. When they’re done cooking, turn the water off and leave them. Rice noodles tend to fall apart or get really sticky if they’re drained too early.
Then start to brown the Italian sausage in a fairly large pan. When the sausage is about half browned, throw in the chopped onions and garlic and saute it all until the sausage is finished browning. Then stir in the tomato paste. Then add the chopped tomatoes, undrained, the ground tomatoes, the basil, oregano and pepper. Let this mixture heat through.
While the red sauce is heating, make the cottage cheese mixture. Throw the cottage cheese, egg (not the shell, just the egg), parsley and parmesan into a bowl and stir it up until it’s all blended.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Drain the noodles once you have everything else set out.
Start by laying out one layer of noodles in your lasagna pan using half of your noodles. Then spread half of the cottage cheese mixture on top of the noodles. Then ladle half of the red sauce over that. Finally, sprinkle 2 cups of the mozzarella on top of the red sauce. Repeat these 4 layers with the remaining food.
Put the pan in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the cheese is done the way you like it. Once you take it out, let it sit for a few minutes before you slice into that cheesy, tomato-y deliciousness.